This training document shows, how to create reports in Webtrekk Analytics.
You can download this training chapter as PDF file here.
This training chapter is also available as recorded webinar.
- 1. What are reports?
- 2. Accessing a report
- 3. Setting up and editing a report
- 4. Tips for an effective reporting
1. What are reports?
A report often consists of several individually configured analyses. It can be dispatched automatically via e-mail.
Besides analyses there are further elements that are only available in reports.
Reports also provide the possibility to use Live elements. These show information in near real time.
Detailed information can be found in the training chapter on Live Elements in Reports.
Only reports can be shared with other users. These users can access the report and – if they have the corresponding rights – edit the report.
Reports can be linked among each other. This enables you to create a general report that links to more detailed reports.
2 Accessing a report
2.1 Reports in the main menu
The report section in the main menu contains a link to the report overview as well as a list of the report favorites.
The report favorites can be expanded in order to show the containing elements of the type „Analysis“ and directly navigate to the corresponding analyses.
In the report overview, reports can be marked as favorites.
2.2 Report overview
The report overview lists all available reports and provides various functions.
- Reports can be structured by using folders.
Often it is useful to cluster the reports by topics (e.g., folders for Marketing, Management) or by department.
2.2.1 Report folders
Reports can be added to folders by doing one of the following thinks:
- Dragging & Dropping the report in the corresponding folder
- Choosing the folder in the report options
- Selecting the reports and clicking on the following symbol:
- Each report can be stored in exactly one folder.
- New folders can be created by clicking on the corresponding symbol.
- Empty folders (i.e., folders that do not contain a report) cannot be saved.
- In the report overview, reports can be shown with and without folders.
- Folders can be renamed or removed using the extended options.
Several information can be shown by selecting different columns:
- Categories: allow for sharing reports with other users
- Grouping: e.g. Reports created by me, Reports shared with me, Webtrekk reports…
- Created at/by
- Last edited at/by
- Schedule: Is the scheduled dispatch activated or not?
Using the table configuration, you can choose which information is shown.
2.2.3 Sorting and Search
You can sort ascending or descending for a column by clicking on it. The sorting is saved for each user and account.
You can search for the Title, Description, Category and Folder.
The result is shown as list.
2.2.4 Actions and other options
For reports, you can perform the following actions:
- Create copy: Enables you to copy the report, also across accounts. The used filters can be adapted.
- Add to favorites: The report is shown in the main menu.
- Other options
- Set as landing page: The report is shown directly after logging in to Webtrekk.
- Enable start dialog: Allows for adapting the time period and report filters before the calculation starts.
- Report options: Opens the report options.
- Share: Creates a link that allows to directly access the report. To access the report, it is necessary to login to Webtrekk.
2.2.5 Selecting more than one report
Reports can be selected by clicking on the checkboxes.
Reports selected that way can altogether be deleted or moved to another folder.
2.3 Report view
The report view shows the report content and offers various options.
2.4 Manual export
In the report view, reports can be exported ad-hoc as e-mail or download.
- Export formats: CSV, Excel, PDF
- Only in PDF files are diagrams and visualizations integrated into the data table.
- E-mail addresses of recipients can be separated by spaces, commas, semicolons or line breaks („ENTER“).
Please note, that this is a one time export. Scheduled exports can be configured in the report options.
2.5 Sharing via Link
In the report view, you can copy a link to this report. This way, you can share the report by sending the link to other Webtrekk users.
- When clicking the link, the user is forwarded to the report when he logged in.
- Please note that the user must have access to the report. This can be configured in the report options by assigning the report to a category.
3. Setting up and editing a report
3.1 Setting up a report
There are two ways to create a new report:
- Via "Reports > Overview > Create new report".
- Via adding an existing analysis to a report.
For doing so, select the dialogue „Add as > Report element“ within an analysis.
A new window will open; choose „new report“ here.
- Afterwards, basic properties of the report can be configured. Further information can be found in the section on report options.
3.2 Editing reports
In the Edit Mode, all elements can be configured, arranged and new elements can be added.
The following adaptions can be made:
- Add and edit elements and report filters
- Changing the report options (e.g. dispatch via e-mail, sharing reports, time period)
In the edit mode, the data values that are shown are sampled to increase the calculation speed.
3.3 Adding Elements
In Edit mode, further elements can be added to reports.
The following elements are available:
- Analysis / Analysis Live
- Single KPI / Single KPI Live
- Sparkline / Sparkline Live
- Dynamic Box
Information on Live Elements (which are optionally available) can be found in the training chapter on Live Elements in Reports.
In the window "Add analysis" an analysis can be chosen.
The default setup is loaded, which then can be customized.
Alternatively, within an analysis (outside of a report) you can choose „Add as > Report Element“.
- Afterwards, choose the report to which the analysis should be added or choose to
create a new one.
- Moreover, you can change the setting for the analysis to be taken over.
3.3.2 Single KPI and Sparkline
In general, a time comparison should be activated for each metric or formula.
Only by doing so a quick evaluation is possible.
- Single KPI
The comparison is shown below the value of the formular or metric.
The comparison time period is visible on mouse over.
The comparison period is shown in grey.
Details are visible on mouse over.
When editing a Single KPI or Sparkline, you can either choose „Other period“ or „Sliding window“.
- Other period
Use the calendar to choose the comparison period.
- Sliding window
The comparison period is chosen automatically. Here you also can choose whether the comparison period should include the same amount of each weekday.
- Preceding: the period directly before the analysis period
- In previous year: the same period one year ago
- In previous quarter: the same period one quarter ago
- In previous month: the same period one month ago
3.3.3 Dynamic Box
The „Dynamic Box“ provides a flexible input area to add e.g. notes, pictures, presentations
and links to the report.
Inserting images from websites:
- Right click on the image and copy it.
- Click in the Dynamic Box, make a right click and choose „Paste“.
Inserting images from YouTube videos:
- Open the video on Youtube and choose „Share > Embed“.
- Select options as desired and click „Copy“.
- Click on the Dynamic Box, choose the source code symbol and paste the code.
- If necessary, change the size of the dynamic box by dragging it with the mouse.
3.3.4 Report filter
The underlying data of report elements can be restricted using a superordinate filter.
- Often limiting to countries, device classes or campaign channels is of interest.
- When using more than one filter, they are combined with „and“.
Thus, each of the used filters must be satisfied.
- At „Add report filter“ you can add filters.
Any dimension is available for this filter.
Report filters don‘t have an effect on LIVE elements and Dynamic Boxes.
3.4 Report options
The report options allow for various adaptions.
- The Start Dialog is shown when accessing a report. It allows for changing the time range and for setting report filters before the calculations start.
- It is deactivated by default and can be (de-)activated in the report
overview or the report options.
In the report options it can be determined whether other users are allowed to
change this configuration.
Reports can be sent automatically and continuously as email via the scheduled export. In the edit mode this can be configured at "Report options > Scheduled export".
- Export formats: CSV, Excel, PDF
Charts and visualizations in the data table are only included in PDF files.
- The number of the data rows to be included in the export as well as the language of the exported file can be specified.
- The email addresses of the recipients can be entered separated by spaces, commas, semicolons or line breaks („ENTER“).
4. Tips for an effective reporting
Webtrekk allows comprehensive reports to be created.
- Deliver effective reports – "Information instead of data".
- Protect yourself against an "information overload" and adjust the reporting according to your possibility of taking actions upon the information.
If you can only make changes to certain areas on a monthly basis, then try not to check the figures each day.
4.1 Goals and success
What are your targets for the website and how are you going to measure them? Use targets to define important KPIs.
E.g. conversion rate, click-out rate
- Successful or not?
Define target values in order to assess your actions objectively! Webtrekk supports an import for this kind of data.
4.2 Report Structure and Target Groups
- Report Structure
Take care of a coherent structure of your reports.
Example: Structuring by user behavior.
- Where and who?
Analyses that show the origin/source of the traffic
E.g., campaigns, referrer, device class…
Analyses that show the usage of the content
e.g., paths, actions, pages, Qty Product Views…
Analyses of Goal Achievement
e.g., Qty Orders, newsletter registration, other registrations…
- Where and who?
- Target Groups
To whom is the report addressed? Adapt the visualization, as well as the level of detail of the information and the descriptions.
4.3 Unification of information
Wherever possible you should standardize reports, that deal with similar subject areas. Standards make it easier to read multiple reports.
Possible guideline questions:
- How are weekly reports structured?
- Which key figures are used?
- In which order are the key figures added?
- Which time frames are used in the analysis?
- How are analysis objects and metrics named?
- Which filters are used to narrow down analyses?
4.4 Report Templates
Create report templates
Reports can be copied within an account or across other accounts.
This way, you could create templates e.g. for
- daily / weekly / monthly reports
- campaign reports
Custom Metrics and Formulas that don‘t exist in the target account are also taken over.
If filters are used, they can be adapted before copying is started.
- We suggest to set read-only permission for report templates. This can be done using report categories.
Webtrekk offers various possibilities for segmentation – use them! For instance, do not just look at the average duration but analyze, what happens exactly in a visit with long durations.
4.6 Simple interpretation
Only forward new reports and analyses together with explanatory notes. This increases acceptance of the information and helps to avoid misinterpretations.
For general information about the report use the report description. For other notes use a "Dynamic Box".
- Relative values
"Are 10,000 visits a lot or not?". Enrich your absolute figures with relative values.
In many cases it will only be the combination of these that will let you grasp the meaning of the information in question.
Format important key figures in the data table to improve readability.
- Compare different time intervals
For a time-based comparison use the corresponding option in an analysis, Single KPI and Sparkline.
You should now be able to answers questions like these:
- Which display formats/elements can be used in reports?
- How can a report be shared with other logins?
- What is the purpose of the report filter?
Get your certification!
- We offer several certifications to prove your expertise
ranging from Basic to Admin level.
Click here for more information.