This training chapter provides an introduction into the components and functionality of the user interface of Webtrekk Analytics. You can download this training chapter as PDF file here.
- General Information
- User Interface Composition
Analytics is part of the Webtrekk Suite and enables you to create extensive analyses as well as appealing reports.
With this training chapter we are giving you insights into different components and the functionality of Webtrekk Analytics.
Here is a list for Webtrekk Q3 users, containing all new functionalities and improvements in Webtrekk Analytics:
- Evidentely more performant user interface
- Faster calculation of analyses
- Better usability
- Responsive design – adapts to any browser resolution or device
- Better and more comprehensive visualizations
- Convert any analysis quickly to a pivot table with a few clicks
- All diagrams can be immediately selected
- More rows in data table available
- Full screen mode
- Adjustments in analyses are saved within the session
- Extended functions in the filter engine
- Preference filter
- Container in filter engine
- Sort by formulas (e.g. conversion rate)
- Extended scope "Visitors" for metrics available
- New analyses (Video Analytics, Page Detail, Engagement)
- PDF export including all visualizations and diagrams
- Simplified user management (report categories, user/role concept)
- Drill-down also possible in pivot tables
- Technical requirements
- Dynamic design
Webtrekk Analytics is optimized for Responsive Design and adapts automatically to the screen size.
The Webtrekk system is subject to ongoing optimization and further development. Updates are installed automatically. Information on new features is provided in the Support Center.
- Setup in Webtrekk Q3
Analytics is based on the setup of Webtrekk Q3 (implementation campaigns, own key figures, parameters etc…).
Changes on the setup are taken over automatically.
- Automatic logout
Automatic logout takes place after 30 minutes of inactivity.
Basic settings can be defined in the global configuration. The changes affect all Webtrekk products.
In the profile settings it is possible to set the language and to change user information.
User Interface Composition
Analyses vs. Reports
Webtrekk distinguishes between analyses and reports.
- Individually configured analyses
- Other display formats possible
- Can be shared with other Webtrekk users
- Through a report filter all analyses can be quickly filtered on important criteria (e.g. Country, Device Class or Campaign Channels).
- Predefined standard analyses
- Individual configuration (key figures, diagrams, filters) possible
Structure of the Main Menu
Analyses are structured into different categories within the main menu:
Allows the analysis of time series (e.g. day, week), geography and technology
Includes referrer, search phrases and campaign analyses
Pages, content groups and usage of links, forms and funnels are observed
Allows the analysis of website goals, products and orders
- Video Analytics
Allows the analysis of Video Content
The analysis time period can be adjusted using the calendar.
With the arrow icon the calendar can be opened and closed.
The current day is always green, the selected time frame is highlighted in grey. The adoption of the time frame is confirmed with a click on "Apply".
There are various ways of determining the time period.
- Direct view
Directly selectable: day, several days, calendar week.
- Two month view
Months can be selected through the arrow icon and within a starting and an end date can be chosen.
- Custom time specification
Dynamic, preset time periods can be selected from the drop-down
All analyses can be adjusted individually.
- Which key figures should be represented?
- How should the data be displayed in the diagram?
- Should the analysis contain a filter?
All adjustment are saved temporarily.
- As soon as you log out or call another account, the default settings are used again.
For a long-term protection of the adjustments you have to add a bookmark or add the analysis to a report.
Adding Key Figures
To add key figures to an analysis, proceed as follows:
- Click on "Add metric".
- The entries are divided into a group and list view.
The list as well as the group view can be searched.
- Searching in the group view:
- Searching in the list view:
The visualization of key figures on the diagram can be set through the context menu.
- Right-clicking on the name of the metric or the formula in the data table as well as on the graph in the diagram. Opens the context menu.
- The display on the diagram can be (de-)activated either on the primary axis or the secondary axis. The selected axis is shown in bold in the context menu.
The diagram subdivides into different areas.
Different types of diagrams can be selected:
The cartography is only available in specific geography analyses.
Visualization in the Data Table
Also directly in the data table, it is possible to select different visualizations for a key figure. In this way you can analyze data quicker and it is easier to spot differences.
There are different visualizations available:
Open the context menu to configure the visualization.
The visualization of a key figure is not possible in a pivot table.
With the collected data the coloring of traffic lights and heatmaps follows automatically but can also be adjusted individually.
The traffic light uses 3 color gradation, the heatmap uses 5.
Sorting and Order
Dimensions and key figures can be sorted in an increasing or decreasing order though the context menu.
The order of the dimensions and key figures in the data table can be changed through drag & drop (on the title).
In the context menu ("Configure Metric") it is possible to adjust every metric/formula individually. These are then labelled with a funnel symbol behind their name in the data table.
Detailed information about attribution models can be found in the training chapter "User Interface 6 – Custom Metrics and Formulas".
Functions of the Data Table
The number of displayed rows can be adjusted and you can navigate through the result pages.
Also, the total amount of tracked data is evident.
These options are not available in pivot tables.
Links to important analyses can be created with bookmarks.
- Any applied filters are also saved.
- Booksmarks are only available in the used login and cannot be shared with other
A click on "Add as > Bookmark" in an analysis creates the bookmark. Think of an informative title.
Bookmarks are sorted alphabetically in the main menu.
Bookmarks can be directly deleted in the main menu. Per mouseover a respective symbol will be shown.
The following table shows the different functions when saving an analysis as a bookmark or a report element.
Analyses can be depicted in different views:
- Time series
- Pivot table
The list view shows the listing of a dimension. This view is displayed for most analyses as a default.
The time series view shows the development of a dimension over time.
Activating the time series view
In an analysis click on the time series symbol. Only available with non-time-dimentions.
In the following layer either specific or the most frequent dimension results (following the key figure after which the analysis is sorted) can be selected. When clicking on "Top X" the amount can be determined by selecting the corresponding lines.
Select the key figures and the time frame in which the output should take place.
After clicking on "Apply" the analysis will be calculated.
Exiting the time series view
To exit the view, simply click on the close symbol.
There is a maximum of 15 rows to be displayed in Webtrekk Analytics. A configuration, that exceeds this limit (e.g. 5 dimensions results with 4 metrics = 20 rows) is not possible.
The dimensions can be displayed in a hierarchy or list view.
Creating a pivot table
To create a pivot table add at least one other dimension to the analysis.
Switch between hierarchy and list view by using the respective buttons.
In the hierarchy view dimensions can be sorted via drag & drop.
Dimensions can be removed with the help of the context menu.
Through clicking on an icon it is possible to adjust the row limit in the hierarchy view.
Search and Filter Functions
In Webtrekk, analyses can be searched and filtered.
- Search: Show only a selection
Only certain analysis dimension results are to be displayed in the current analysis.
- Filter function: Extensive possibilities
An analysis can be filtered on all available dimensions and metrics.
Detailed information about attribution models can be found in the training chapter "User Interface 4 – Search and Filter Functions", which is available for download in the Support Center.
Through a so called drilldown selected dimensions of an analysis can be adopted as filters for a follow-up analysis.
Multiple dimension can be selected at the same time.
Analyses can be exported as Excel, PDF or CSV file.
All data that is selected in the dialogue box will be exported (max. 10.000 lines).
The export as Excel or CSV file does not include visualizations of key figures or diagrams. The number of rows, that can be exported, depends on the individual account settings.
The computation of analyses can be accelerated if only a part of the data is used for the calculation.
Determine which amount of data is used for the analysis. 20% is pre-set.
Random users are selected for each calculation and from it the data is selected.
The calculation of reports is always based on all visitors.
Full Screen Mode
When activating the full screen mode the main menu as well as the product choice will be hidden.
To (de-)activate the full screen mode click on the triangle symbol next to the analysis path.